Monday, October 24, 2011

Arrrrgh!

After having this pattern for a few years, I finally set out to make Reece's pirate coat for rennfest. I started in August, knowing that rennfest opening weekend is the weekend before Labor day. Luckily, rennfest runs for 13 weeks. Sitll, it was probably poor timing considering the fact that the last thing I'd sewn (other than pillow cases or things with straight seams) was about 7 years ago and I did that at my mother in-law's house, with her guidance. Luckily she was just a phone call away when I had a question about instructions or fabric...but I was determined to do this on my own. Once I got started, it came back to me how much I dislike having to do all the little tedious things that make everything turn out just right, such as ironing the pattern piece before pinning and marking dots and notches (on like every side of the fabric). But again, doing these little things, especially when you don't sew alot, helps in the end. I was doing really well until I got to the facing, which stopped me for a little while. Then I had to clean off my dining room table (aka, the craft table) for a few days because we had company over. Not long after that Reece asked if he was going to have his coat to wear this year, so I pulled everything back out and got to work again. I put together the cuffs and of course I put the interfacing on the wrong fabric (we wanted the silver part out and I put it on the black linen), but mom figured out how to turn them around. I was really nervous about easing in the sleeves, because mom did that for me last time, but it went very easily. Pinning the hem, another one of my favorite things (HA!) took forever and then I decided to hand sew it so you wouldn't see a seam on the outside. Reece said he didn't care, but I did. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it so it looks good. I worked right up until we got ready to go to rennfest this past Sunday...the last day of the season...sewing on buttons and then giving it a final press. I have to say, I'm really proud of how it turned out and when Reece added the pins he's collected from faire, it looked even better. I was also pretty happy that he made it a point to tell everyone at faire yesterday that I made the coat for him. :-) I think I'll start looking at some other patterns for next year, maybe a few new skirts for me, some pirate pants for JD and Reece. Whatever it is, I plan to start working on them early next year...like January or February. LOL I posted some pictures below of the coat just after I put the sleeves in and then 2 of it after it was finished.
Finished coat


Close up of sleeve and pocket flap

No comments:

Post a Comment