Monday, October 15, 2012

Revolving teachers anyone?

To be honest, I wasn't exactly thrilled that JD was starting kindergarten in the class with the teacher on maternity leave. I know it happens. I've had friends who are teachers go on maternity leave. I know it's the luck of the draw when they make up the classes. We met the permanent sub at kindergarten orientation and she seemed really nice. I communicated with her by email a few times and we had our parent/teacher conference with her in September. Felt confident that she'd be a good teacher for JD and assumed she'd be there until his regular teacher came back from leave. What is it they say about assuming...that you make an ass out of u and me?

Last Thursday we get a letter home with JD from the principal stating that the permanent sub came to them Wednesday and informed them that Wednesday would be her last day at the school. No reason given in the letter, not that I expected there to be. They're interviewing for a new permanent sub, the same reliable assistant is still with the class and we have the best interests of your students looked after, blah, blah, blah. So, the class has had a sub since last Thursday and I can only hope they have the same sub today and not someone else. (I intend to keep track!) SO, this situation means that, assuming (yeah, there I go assuming again) that the regular teacher comes back in the spring, the class will have had at least 4 teachers this year. Not cool!

How are the kids supposed to develop a relationship with their teacher and for that matter, how are parents supposed to.

Reece told me about the letter before I got home Thursday and when I got there JD handed me the letter and said "Mommy, Mrs. __ is gone and she's not ever coming back. It's very sad." I told him there was nothing we could do about it, but that Mrs. __, the assistant would still be there and try to keep things the same, but that the new teacher may do things a little differently.

I think I may have to correspond with the principal.

No comments:

Post a Comment