Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ahoy...come aboard Captain JD's pirate ship

While I was putzing around on Pinterest today (yeah, still in the holiday not wanting to do work mode...as is everyone else here!) I decided that I should blog about the "fort" I made for JD. One of my best friends sent him a hippo shaped tent when he was about 2. Well he loved it so much, it was all he'd sleep in. In fact, we took apart his bed and just let him sleep in the tent for along time. There just wasn't enough room for both in his room. When we finally decided it was time for a bed, we got a simple twin bed at Ikea. He kept wanting a tent/fort, but since there was no footboard, just throwing a big sheet over the ends of the bed wasn't going to work. He really likes pirates so I came up with an idea for a fort. I went to JoAnn Fabric and bought something like 6 yards of muslin. I cut it in half so I had two 3 yard pieces and then cut one of those piece in half lengthwise. To sew it together, I put the widest piece in the middle and the thinner ones on the outside, added a rod pocket at the top and finished all the edges. So essentially, I made a big curtain. I then sewed on some pirate patches, made from red and black quilting fabric, so it would look like a repaired sail. My husband put up a wooden curtain rod on brackets close to the ceiling and we hung the sail fort. We just tuck the end under his mattress to make the fort and when he doesn't want it down, we just tuck it behind the headboard and it still makes a little canopy over his head.




No comments:

Post a Comment